Having children doesn’t mean you have to give up going on city breaks, it just means you have to take a slightly different approach to them. We are big advocates of exploring cities, even big ones, with kids in tow. There’s no reason that a city break can’t be enjoyed by the whole family. In fact, our Mini Adventures are written to make exploring a city exciting, fun and educational.
City breaks just take a little more planning and consideration. You need to ensure that the kids are never overtired, hungry or bored and this should apply to the grown-ups too.
The first step is to research which city has the best mix of activities and sights for all the family. We’ve done the hard work for you there and compiled this list naming our top child friendly cities in Europe with some of the places to see and things to do whilst there. Things we took into consideration were;
Plenty of green spaces to allow the kids to run around between sightseeing.
Good range of activities for kids and adults.
Varied range of places to eat.
So, here goes. The list in no particular order and we could have named a further 10 but that’s for another time!
1. BARCELONA – Cable car to Montjüic Castle, L’Aquarium, CosmCaixa Science Museum, Parc de la Ciutadella, Tibidabo Amusememt Park, Museum of Ideas and Inventions, Chocolate Museum (Museo de la Xocolata), and of course Barcelona is one of the few cities that has beaches.
2. BUDAPEST – Big Bus Tour, Miniversum, City Park, Gellert Hill, Castle District, Thermal baths and pools, and a must do is the BUDAPEST MINI ADVENTURE, THE HUNT FOR DRACULA’S POWER.
3. ZAGREB –Take a tram ride, Museum of Illusions, Zagreb Zoo, journey to Strossmayers Promenade on the funicular, Technical Museum plus there’s lots of parks. A ZAGREB MINI ADVENTURE IS COMING SOON!
4. PARIS – Jardines De Luxemburgo, Musee de Cluny, Eiffel Tower, Sacre Coeur, Take a double decker boat ride on the River Seine and Jardin d’Acclimation.
5. LONDON – Madame Tussauds, Tower of London and Tower Bridge, London Transport Museum, Harry Potter Studios Tour, St James Park, Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace, Natural History Museum and London Eye.
6. ROME – Colosseum, The Vatican, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, day trip to Ostia Antica (once Rome’s harbour city) plus there’s lots of wonderful pizzas and ice creams to try.
7. MUNICH – See the Glockenspiel in Marien Platz (the central square in Munich’s old town), Toy Museum in the Old Town Hall, Obletter Toy Store, Kid Kingdom in Deutsches Museum with over 1,000 kid friendly activities, Munich Zoo plus there’s even a German Fairy Tale route.
8. VIENNA – Schonbrunn Palace, which is a palace, children’s museum and world oldest zoo all rolled into one. Zoom Children’s Museum, Belvedere Palace, St Stephens Cathedral, Giant Ferris Wheel at Prater Amusement Park, horse drawn carriage ride, Danube Tower, House of Music, Spanish Riding School and Time Travel (local history museum).
9. BRATISLAVA – Bratislava Castle, pedestrian only medieval old town, Grassalkovich Palace Park and Gardens, UFO Bridge and observation deck, Danube riverbank which even has a couple of artificial beaches, quirky statues and the BRATISLAVA MINI ADVENTURE, THE GIANTS TABLE should be on the do list.
10. LJUBLJANA – Tivoli Park, boat trips, take the funicular up to the castle, Puppet Theatre, hunt for dragons and see the famous Dragon Bridge, Optical Illusions Museum, House of Experiments and one of the best ways to explore this lovely city is by doing the LJUBLJANA MINI ADVENTURE, THE INVISIBLE DRAGON MISSION.
So, that’s our top 10 picks of family friendly cities in Europe. We hope you’ve enjoyed reading, and it’s got you excited about a family city break for next year.
We firmly believe the best way to create lasting memories is by going on adventures. We’d love to hear of any cities that you would add to our list, cities you have some wonderful memories of.
You can let us know in the comments below.